Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Reflection

This photo was taken some 7 years ago; I was only 14 years young (go ahead, do the math). I was doing a dance interpretation of the song "Reflection" by Christina Aguilera (OST of Mulan) for the very first pageant competition I have ever joined.

The man at the back was my choreographer. I sought his expertise because I had little, if not none at all, knowledge in coming up with steps for the song. Dance wasn't my major in highschool; I was a Theater artist. So although I had no problem projecting on stage, if it were not for my choreographer, I would have messed the whole routine up. 

I had bruises all over my body: my knees, my elbows, my arms, and wherever. I remember practicing splits everyday for the entire week preceding the performance. I'd wake up at dawn trying to perfect the pirouette and ballonnĂ©. Not to mention, I had to work with my facial expression and all. For a 14 year-old, that was tough. It was even tougher because I didn't initiate the joining of the competition. I was picked (and bribed... and blackmailed... and then they called my eager parents). I am not complaining though. I never did. In fact, I thank God I took part. Otherwise, I would never have witnessed the euphoric look on my parents and family's face when I won the competition. That was all that mattered to me.

When I handed the trophy to my father, it felt like that scene in Mulan. You know, that part when Mulan finally defeated the Huns, returned home and went to where his father, Fa Zhou, was: 

Mulan: [kneels] Father. I brought you the sword of Shan-Yu, and the crest of the Emperor. They're gifts, to honor the Fa family.
 [Fa Zhou drops the sword and crest on the ground and embraces Mulan]
Fa Zhou: The greatest gift and honor... is having you for a daughter. 

"The greatest gift and honor... is having you for a daughter."


So ok, I romanticized the whole thing a bit, but I did feel the pride my family had of me. It was the best feeling ever. I swore then that I'd continue doing just that--- bring honor to my family.

I suppose picking the song "Reflection" for my dance was no coincidence at all.


No comments: