Thursday, October 25, 2012

Pinoy Folklore


Aswang, Manananggal, Tiyanak, Duwende, Kapre, Agta, Mangkukulam, Maligno, Tikbalang, Sigbin, White Lady/Kaperosa, Bampira, Pugot, Nuno sa Punso, Siyokoy, Wak-wak, Bungisngis, Santelmo... the list goes on.

I do not know about today's generation, but when I was young, stories of these folklore creatures were among the most popular. My auntie used to tell us varied true-to-life (or so she says) stories about them before we go to bed and they were the best I have ever heard. I would lie in bed thinking about them before sleeping and I'd dream about them whilst asleep. Don't get me wrong, I am no Elias Paniki. Truth be told, I'm chickensh**. But I love a good story...scary or otherwise. I once even wanted to be like the Brothers Grimm and swore to myself that when I grow old enough to drive, I'd travel far and wide in search of never-before known stories. I thought maybe that would make me a legend of some sort.

Of course, time passed... I grew up... Stories of the folklore creatures were reduced to half-assed films with over-the-top editing and effects... and I never learned how to drive. But every now and then I am still reminded of those creatures of the night especially this time of the year when halloween's just around the corner. Still scares the crap out of me. But I love it still. I think that's he whole point of the story after all: to be scary. Not that it had to be necessary told through illustrations, overrated cinematography, or whathaveyous. They're cool and all. But more often than not, they tend to overshadow the whole story and the story gets lost in translation. It's sad. I think a good story is that which lets the mind work. Let the mind imagine things... let it speculate,  let it doubt, let it suspect,  --- to let it be it's own evil so to speak. That's when you get the experience.

To everybody who knows a good folklore or two, I would encourage you to pass it on. Tell it to a friend, a niece, a nephew, a young neighbor who pisses you off... tell it. Be a storyteller and tell it.

Let the stories of the night and the dead live. Happy Halloween.

No comments: